In 1881 Katherine was recorded as living at Chester House, unmarried and ‘living on dividends.’ Chester House – or No. 3, West Side Common, Wimbledon – was described as being of immaculate Georgian proportions, with two storeys plus roof dormers. The ornate soffit moulding was repeated in the pediment to the projecting northern entrance wing, and a lower two storey five bay wing at the northern end concealed a higher extension at the rear. It was thought to be one of the finest looking buildings in Wimbledon
Chester House was substantially remodelled in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and in 1938 it was threatened with demolition. However, it was saved by the outbreak of the Second World War and instead was later converted into the head office of Barclays Bank.
The cross and candlesticks on our Marian Altar were given in 1892 in Katherine’s memory and are some of the oldest items in the church.