Ordained by the Bishop of Rochester, he was a member of the Society of the Resurrection and of the Oxford Mission to Calcutta (formed in 1879 by the Bishop of Calcutta who was acutely aware of the work that needed to be done amongst the educated in the city. Ten men “outstanding in intellect and spirit” formed the Brotherhood of the Epiphany which had its rule drawn up by Charles Gore. The first brothers sailed for Calcutta in 1880). During his short stay he became very popular in the area as “one of the sweetest characters, most devout and humble minded of men that ever worked as a parish priest, He had secured to himself a wealth of affection, esteem and interest which would, for many years, be a help to him.” He left to return to his work with the Oxford Mission to Calcutta and on his departure was presented with fine telescope purchased from Newton and Co., of Fleet Street. This had been personally selected by the Vicar who explained that it would enable him to see the Rings of Saturn, Jupiter’s Belts and, on a fine day, the time on a church clock some ten miles distant! The instrument with “brass body, best brass fittings, three inch object glass, two astronomical eye-pieces and a star finder”, bore the inscription:- “Presented to Rev. Horace Conway as a token of affection and regard by parishioners and friends on his leaving the curacy of All Saints’, South Wimbledon – November 1896.” Reverend Conway finally sailed for India on 26th November and, probably in deference to his prospective work, an All Saints’ Missionary Society was formed.